Clearly we are communicating more than ever with emails, blogs, texts, facebook, of course, the list goes on. The question is, are we communicating more or are we communicating less. One of the problems with digital communication is that we miss out on a huge percentage of the overall communication range. The Mehrabian studies indicate that 7% of our communication is verbal and the other 93% is communicated through voice tone and body language. This idea has been debated in recent years because if I tell you the latest stock market update, my nonverbal communication is going to have little ...

​Read More

I was recently reminded about the movie, The Book of Eli, which is about a man, Denzel Washington, who is trying to preserve the last Bible on Earth in a post-apocalyptic world. Now, the antagonist, Gary Oldman, wants to steal this book, because he knows of its power to guide, lead, and from his perspective, control others.  And it reminds me of the important idea that you may have heard before that Leaders are Readers. What reading does is that it not only expands our knowledge but it accelerates our learning curve and our success. Because most people learn through trial ...

​Read More

Even world class speakers may get a hint of nervousness before stepping on stage. They of course have skills for masking any nervousness they may feel, so don’t be surprised if you can’t pick up on it. I remember when I was first getting started delivering presentations everyday. I loved the work and was excited to have so many opportunities to speak, but every time I stepped on stage, I started off a bit nervous. This came across as energy and fast-talking. Not a great way to begin building a relationship with the audience I was going to be with ...

​Read More

Those of you who are at the top of your game, know that communication is key. Most of the time in life, the way we produce massive results is through people, which of course requires communication. And quite often we want the results right away. When we want results now, we tend to communicate more quickly, after all, it is urgent. The problem is that efficiency (speed) and effectiveness (quality) don’t always go hand in hand. When dealing with people, it has been said before that “Fast is slow and slow is fast.” While that seems completely counterintuitive, it does ...

​Read More

As I do consulting and training throughout the country, I get to spend some time in airports.  And for anyone who studies human behavior, the airport is like a candy store.  Every variety you want, is right there.  And of course what makes it even more interesting is that virtually every one there is under stress.  Am I going to make the flight?  The connection?  What if my bags don’t make it? One of the biggest stress-inducing factors is the weather.  Because when bad weather hits, there’s not really much you can do.  If there are tornadoes in my hometown, ...

​Read More